Be careful how you look at the photographs on this website. You might see family who have passed away.
Archival Resources Details Maps, Tribal Indexes ,Newspaper Article and Correspondence
- File Title
- Maps, Tribal Indexes ,Newspaper Article and Correspondence
- National Centre for Indigenous Genomics
- Date Range
- 1946 - 1997
This file contains maps of northern areas of Australia indicating the tribal boundaries or different linguistic groups. There are fourteen pages of codes for language/tribes or groups used by Dilys Halley who worked for R.L. Kirk on the International Biological Programme. There is photocopied correspondence from Bill Harney to Father McGrah (Catholic Mission, Bathurst Island via Darwin, NT) (20/7/1946) forwarding a chart describing the 'skin' system and suggesting Father McGrah devise a way of forming skin names based on the letters of the alphabet. There is a list of the skin groups for men with named individuals, from the Catholic Mission on Bathurst Island. The file also contains a preliminary tribal index from the Australian Institute of Aboriginal Studies, and a newspaper article from The Canberra Times. Saturday July 5, 1997.
- Original copy, photocopy and newsprint
- 93 pages
- Follow the link http://ncig.anu.edu.au/governance-ethics-framework to find out how to access the NCIG collections.
Related Digital resources
- Art in Arnhem Land, giving names and their meanings for the linguistic groups and clans for the Dua Moiety and for the Jiritja Moiety.