Be careful how you look at the photographs on this website. You might see family who have passed away.
Study Northern Territory Treponematosis Survey (1968)
Northern Territory, Australia
The Treponemal Serology survey was associated with the International Biological Programme, Human Adaptability Section. Samples were collected in 1968 from the following regions in the Northern Territory: Roper River, Maningrida, Milingimbi, Victoria River Downs, Amoonguna, Robinson River, Hermansburg, Areyonga, Yuendumu, Aileron, Bagot, Maryvale, Mainoru, Bamyili, Elcho Island, Bathurst Island, Umbakumba and Delissaville.
This project was conducted by Dr Langsford in the Northern Territory Health Department. At each locality, houses were selected at random and all persons in the household were sampled. Some of the records indicate that some participants refused to have their own blood or that of their children collected. Most locations have names, basic demographic information and familial relationships listed for all participants. For many of these localities, records have been retained which include varying levels of information on participants including name, sex, age and familial relationships between participants. Dr Kirk was provided with these samples from Dr Langsford by obtaining permission from the Northern Territory Health Department. These samples were tested for blood group antibody typing, serum proteins and red cell enzyme analysis with several publications resulting from the work.
National Centre for Indigenous Genomics
- Correspondence and Survey Results, 1968 - 1969, 02B-34; National Centre for Indigenous Genomics. Details
- Field Notes and Survey Results, 1968, 02D-11; National Centre for Indigenous Genomics. Details
- Serology Results, 04D-10; National Centre for Indigenous Genomics. Details
- Serology Results, 1968, 02D-24; National Centre for Indigenous Genomics. Details
- Survey Results, 1968, 02D-06; National Centre for Indigenous Genomics. Details
- Survey Results, 1968, 02D-03; National Centre for Indigenous Genomics. Details
- Kirk, R. L., Blake, N. M., Moodie, P. M., & Tibbs, G. J., Population genetic studies in Australian Aborigines of the Northern Territory. The distribution of some serum protein and enzyme groups among populations at various localities in the Northern Territory of Australia., Human Biology in Oceania, vol. 1, 1971, 54-76 pp, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/5156151?dopt=Citation. Details